Sully1

Sully1
Sully the sous chef

Monday, May 16, 2011

Snacks

Last night I tried sleep hypnosis (no, I'm totally serious!) and it worked!! I was so tired after the first five minutes of the hypnosis that I just did one mp3 and slept soundly for 9 hours. And I woke up like a champ, ready for the day.

There were a couple of things I needed to do today since the roast took up most of my day yesterday. The comforters on the king bed needed to be taken to the dry cleaners, as I usually do that once every six months, splitting the 6 months in between the two. I also somehow, broke the charger for my phone and it was on low so I needed to visit the AT&T store for a new charger. And as I ferociously cleaned the house this morning, I noticed that I was pretty much out of cleaning supplies and the black flies that love my kitchen were all over an avocado finger print on the pantry. Desperate need for bacteria and germ killing agents was eating me up.

So off I went into the cloudy day that was threatening (and killed) my mile run this afternoon. While in the AT&T store I perused new phones as The Soldier took my upgrade earlier in the year when I broke his phone. I found the phone I want and shall obtain it in June. Then I flew into the nearby Publix.

I love my Pooler Publix. Great produce from organic places and they have a section, albeit small, of grass fed meats. But I went in there for cleaning supplies (and a Diet Coke). I came out with tons of cleaning stuff and some Brussels sprouts, okra and a ton of fruit (oh and bacon!!).

I love okra. And before 2011, I only liked it fried. But, once again, Everyday Paleo had a recipe for it. And...it's a great side to a protein packed dinner or just a midday snack and it's very easy. I do know that it is hard for some people in the Western part of the US to find okra and for that, I am sorry. So here is a recipe for baked okra!!

Here is what you need!!

1lb of okra

1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp avocado oil (I know, I know...it's expensive. So use virgin olive oil!!)

Sea salt

Here is what you do!

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Take the okra and cut the tops and bottoms off of the okra.
Throw the cut off tops and bottoms of the okra in the trash. Then cut the okra into 1/2 inch pieces, bite size if you will.
Throw those in a bowl and then take the oil of your choice and pour that over the okra pieces. Get your hands all oily by making sure that the oil is coating all the pieces of okra.
Then toss the oily pieces of okra on a baking sheet.
Spread them out and then shake some sea salt over them.
Put em in the oven!
I cook them for about 25 minutes, popping them out halfway and kind of stirring them around.  Once they are done, they should be a little crunchy and slightly brown.
Sometimes I make a lot of these because it is way too easy to eat an entire pound of okra in one sitting.

I also picked up some amazing fruit while at the Publix.
I cut the apples up and diced em.
Took the apricots and cut them into a billion pieces.
Washed and cut the stems off of the strawberries.
Washed the raspberries.
And threw all of the above on top of some already washed and separated pomegranate seeds (my favorite!!!).

I know that people who are super Paleo say to watch your fruit intake...but the hardest part of Paleo for me has been the elimination of sugar. So this is the perfect thing for me when my sweet tooth attacks (and it does)! The soldier likes to drizzle some balsamic over his fruit. I do, too but I like fruit and just fruit!!

Happy snacking my friends!!!

Okra from  Everyday Paleo; Crispy Okra

No comments:

Post a Comment