Sully1

Sully1
Sully the sous chef

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Roasting Coffee...on beef.

So, like I mentioned earlier, The Soldier had to drive back to Soldierland today and every time that he leaves I like to throw a pity party. Sometimes they last a month? Sometimes a day and sometimes just an hour or two. And I really don’t have an excuse for throwing a pity party today because he is coming back next weekend.
So after I said goodbye to him, I planned on jumping right back into my pjs and crawling in bed with a book…but not before I checked my favorite websites; facebook, Perezand of course Everyday Paleo.
When the cookbook came out, I thought for sure that Everyday Paleo would be cutting back on posting recipes because the book is full of wonderful different recipes. But having one of the top selling cookbooks out in the world hasn’t hindered Everyday Paleofrom bringing more and more food ideas to the web and Paleo fanatics like yours truly.
I checked it today and she had a recipe for a Smoky Roast. I like roasts. I love that I throw a few things together, dump it in the crock pot and then forget about it for 8 hours.  We don’t have a grill so I have missed the smoky taste on my foods and Everyday Paleohad a recipe for it.
Now….TRUST ME. When I saw the ingredients for the rub, I kind of wanted to puke and never eat again. But Everyday Paleohas never wronged me. Never.  By the fifth hour, my mouth was literally watering and the hours started going by sooo slowly because the smell was torturing me!!!
Oh…and it tastes amazing. I’ve never tasted anything like it. It’s great. TRUST ME:
Here is what you need!
2 Tbsp coffee grounds
½ tsp of chipotle (I cannot for the life of me find ground chipotle…so I used a fajita spice instead)
1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
½ Tbsp coconut oil (I assume that you can use olive oil)
2.5lb beef chuck roast
1 red onion, halved and sliced
¾ C water
Here is what you do!
Combine all the spices together really well. Get your roast out and really rub the spice onto both of the sides. Like really get it in there. Make sure the roast is totally covered. Then heat up the coconut oil in the skillet. You want to make sure it is very hot because if you throw the roast in the skillet when it’s not that hot, I hear you can lose all the spice. You want to scorch it on both sides and I did for three minutes each side.
While the roast is cooking, throw the onion slices in the crockpot. As soon as you’ve finished cooking the “crust” on the roast, chuck that roast in the crockpot. Put it on low and forget about it for about 8 hours.
It’s so fantastic. You won’t even know what to do with yourself.
I ate this with a food processor concoction….I threw three avocados, 3 roma tomatoes, 4 cloves of garlic, some lemon juice and some avocado oil in the food processor. Then I also put in a small jar of green salsa. Then I gladly and gleefully turned on my processor. And that little concoction was super good. I read about doing something like this in the Everyday Paleo cookbook but I added a couple of things. Even some of the roast with the green mixture was really good.
(I know that it looks gross....its fantastic, though!!)
Enjoy my friends!! And if you do make this for dindin or something else please let me know how it goes!!!

Again, for good measure, I got the recipe from Everyday Paleo

No comments:

Post a Comment