Sully1

Sully1
Sully the sous chef

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Asparagus Soup

Yeah, yeah, yeah….I know that it’s summer in Savannah, Georgia which means that it will always be 90+ degrees. So what if I made a hot soup?
Awhile back I got my super awesome food processor (again it can be found here….) I have been wanting to make soup and another one of my favorite Paleo web sites, The Food Lovers' Primal Palate had a beautiful picture of asparagus soup. I love asparagus. So I went for it and so should you.
Here is what you need!!
2lbs of fresh asparagus.
1 white onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups of chicken broth (try to find free-range, organic!!)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
Salt and pepper at your liking (The Soldier and I are not pepper fans…so we never use it!!)
2 Tbsp chopped, chopped fresh chives
1 C of chopped and sautéed prosciutto (me thinks bacon would work as well….)
Here is what you do!!!
Removed the ends of the asparagus and chop them into about 1 to 2 inch pieces.
In a soup pot, sauté the onion and the garlic in the coconut oil, adding your salt and pepper. Add the asparagus and then cover all of the stuff in the pot with the chicken broth. Cover the pot with the lid and boil until the asparagus is soft and tender…I think I did mine for about 10 to 15 minutes.
While you are doing that, chop or tear your prosciutto up into bits (I used scissors…works much better than trying to cut it) and then sauté it for about five minutes.
Then set it aside.
When the asparagus is ready, transfer everything from that soup pot into your food processor. Process until smooth. The recipe says you don’t want chunks but I had some and found that it made it very much likeable. I didn’t mind and neither did The Soldier.
Pour the soup into soup bowls, sprinkle with the chives and prosciutto. In the recipe that I took this from, they basically used the chives and the prosciutto as a garnish. I did for the pictures and then I mixed it in with the soup and it was just as wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment