Sully1

Sully1
Sully the sous chef

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cookies! And no, not Oreos!

Who said there is no baking in Paleo?

Well, it wasn’t me!!

If I haven’t already raved about the new Paleo magazine, then let me rave right here. It’s amazing. The photos are beautiful and brilliant and the articles are so inspiring and very key to real world Paleo-ism. It comes out 6 times a year and is very well worth taking a look at. And being friends with them on Facebook as I found these two recipes on their Facebook page. It was kinda a teaser to their next issue coming out (as I salivate, waiting by the mailbox).

The only slight problem I have with going Paleo was the fact that I married the Cookie Monster. Wanna hear a funny story? Of course you do! When The Soldier/Cookie Monster and I got married almost 9 year ago, we rarely fought. 

 Even with the transition to military life and being married, we never fought. Until I decided that I was going to be Miss Suzy Homemaker and cooked a lot. So one day, while The Soldier was doing Soldier stuff, I baked a ton of cookies. From scratch, not a tube. Well, he came home and I left (one car at that time, still don’t know how we ever did THAT for 7 years) to go workout and when I returned, drooling at the prospect for cookies, I walked into the kitchen to find that The Soldier had eaten all the cookies…but one.

When I asked him about this…his response was and has consistently been, “Well, I left you one.”

So, when I saw these recipes for these Paleo cookies, I thought I’d give em a shot. They were good and The Cookie Monster was full, even leaving me a few (cause if he hasn’t learned the wrath of ME by now? I feel bad for him).

Almond Coconut Orange cookies

Here is what you need!

1 C Almond Flour

¼ C unsweetened coconut flakes

¼ C raw honey

2 TBSP butter (organic, grass-fed!) ((melted))

1 TBSP orange zest (you can use the ‘spice’ or you can do a workout of the day and make your own orange zest. I will say that the fresh zest kicks the ‘spice’ orange zest’s butt….it’s worth it.)

Here is what you do!!!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the almond flour, coconut and orange zest together.

Melt your butter.

Add the butter and the honey and stir!

When the mixture is all mixed, take about a golf ball sized portion and roll it around in your hand.

Place it on the cookie sheet and then press down. I like these to be pretty flat.

Bake for 10 to 11 minutes, or until the outsides of the cookie are brown.

It’s VERY important that you let these suckers cool, for about 10 minutes. If you don’t, the cookie will crumble as will your resolve to make good cookies!

Sunflower raisin cookies.

Here is what you need!!!

½ C sunflower seed flour (I can’t find it anywhere…so I got some unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds, threw em in my food processor and demolished them. It will be chunky and most certainly not like flour you are used to. Be not afraid…that’s what you want!)

1/3 C raisins

¼ C raw honey

2 TBSP of coconut flour.

2 TBPS shredded coconut

2 tsp vanilla

Here is what you do!!!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Mix everything together!!!

Again, make golf ball sized portions.

Don’t flatten these guys out. Leave them as little ant hills.

Bake for about 12 to 13 minutes.

The tops will be slightly brown.

Again, I cannot tell you how important it is that you let these guys cool. If you pick em up a couple of minutes after you pull them out of the oven? You are gonna have a hot mess of what looks like granola. It still tastes good, but defeats the cookie thing!

And….you’re done!!

1 comment: