Sully1

Sully1
Sully the sous chef

Friday, October 7, 2011

Southern Paleo Dinner!

So I've been cooking up a storm since The Soldier came home.

He deserves it. I never can thank him enough for what he does so instead I cook. And to welcome him home I thought he might want a Southern Dinner of "Fried" Catfish, Collard Greens and some beautiful Watermelon! The Collard Green recipe sorta comes from Nom Nom Paleo's recipe. I added a few things, but she basically taught me how to cook the greens and make them pretty. As always, you should really really check out her website. It's awesome.

 Here you go!

Collard Greens; Here's What You Need!

A bag (16oz) of Collard Greens

1 1/2 tsp of Salt

1/4 C Chicken Broth

4-6 strips of bacon, cut into about an inch sized pieces.

Half of a tomato, diced.

Here is What You Do!!

Bring a big ole soup pot of water to a boil.

Add the salt and the greens, stirring until they are pretty wet.

Cover and let boil for about 6-8 minutes.

Then drain the greens and immediately transfer to a bowl of cold water. Or you can dump the hot water and refill that same pot with cold water.

While the greens are cooling, cut your bacon up into small pieces and throw them in the skillet and start cooking them.

Then go back to your greens and take them out of the cold water and SQUUUUUUUEEEEEZE them free of water.

When the bacon is pretty brown, throw the greens in the skillet, mixing well with the pig fat.

Then add the chicken broth and the tomato and then cover and let cook for a couple of minutes.

Take off the burner and enjoy. It's super wonderful.

"Fried" Catfish: Here is What You Need!

1 lb of catfish

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 C of Coconut flour

1 TBSP of garlic powder

A decent sized pinch of cayenne.

1 to 2 TBSP of Coconut Oil

Here is What You Do!!

My filet's were huge and long, so I cut them in half.

Then I beat my eggs.

Assembled the dry ingredients.

Heated up the coconut oil. I always throw some water on the oil when I think it's hot enough. If it pops? It's ready!

Then I took the catfish and dipped it in the egg. Then the flour mixture and then threw it in the pan.

I didn't notice the time, but let it sit there in the pan for about 2 to 3 minutes, checking to make sure you aren't burning the fish. Then, when the first side is pretty brown, turn em over.

I served this with some beautiful watermelon and it just hit the spot.

My dinner plate was fantastic!!

Love me some Southern Cookin!

No comments:

Post a Comment